The end of the baseball/softball spring season is nearing. These rankings will give you a good idea of the top teams, they're not standings, they are my opinion of the best teams that are trending toward a title.
ND Class A Baseball
1. West Fargo - Still haven't lost a game this spring despite a few close calls. Goes to show how good their pitching depth is this year.
2. Mandan - 7-3 record in the WDA separates them from a very competitive field. They've beaten every conference opponent at least once.
3. Fargo Davies - With a 14-4 record they may be the most surprising team in the state this spring. Their dominating sweep over GF Central last Friday (15-6; 16-6) showed they've got the bats to go a long way.
4. GF Red River - Nine wins in a row now for the Rough Riders who lean on their dominant ace Colin Hennessy
5. Bismarck Century - The Pats may be the team coming out of a muddled WDA pack. They went 4-2 last week with an impressive split with Mandan.
ND Class B Baseball
3. Bishop Ryan
ND Class A Softball
1. Bishop Ryan - They passed a big test earlier this week with a win over Dickinson. Hannah Stewart threw yet another shutout as they vault their record to 20-0.
2. West Fargo - Packers have lost twice this year but both to out of state opponents. They are still in the drivers seat to get to a state title game with a 10-0 record in the EDC.
3. Fargo Davies - Davies only losses this year have come to West Fargo and Morris (MN). The seniors on this team have been great.
4. Dickinson - They're getting hot at the right time. They won 12 in a row before losing to Bishop Ryan twice on Tuesday. They were competitive in those games losing 4-0, 6-1.
5. Bismarck - The last spot goes to BHS although Century and Valley City both could be contenders too. Jamie Barta continues to look like an all-state hitter for the Demons.
ND Class B Softball
4. Central Cass
SD Class A Baseball
1. Pierre - After starting out 0-2 they have gone 17-1 since. Their only loss recently came to Mitchell in an extra inning game. The Govs have gotten solid pitching from Bradley Dean, Nick Rabern and Quinn Reimers has been lights out as a closer.
2. Brookings - The Bobcats have been able to get the bats going recently to help get thier record to 20-6. The Cats have put up double digit runs in three of their last four games.
3. Mitchell - After starting out the year at 4-3 they've won 7 of their last 8. They have a tough stretch including Roosevelt, Yankton and Brandon Valley over the next week.
4. SF Lincoln - Another hot team, the Pats have won five in a row against tough competition. Nolan Burchill continues to fire more than a strikeout per inning as the Lincoln staff silences opponents.
5. SF Roosevelt - Despite taking a few losses over the week or so, Roosevelt remains one of the toughest teams in the state. Jake Bear, Chandlar Austin and Ryan Benson lead a potent offense while Stuart Baruth and Jake Bear man a solid staff. They've got a tough test against Mitchell this Thursday to bounce back into the win column.
SD Class B Baseball
1. St Thomas More
2. Bon Homme/ Scotland
5. McCook Central